The Municipality of Distomo-Arachova-Antikyra (MDAA) is located in the prefecture of Central Greece and is derived in 2011 from the merger of three former municipalities, accordingly named Distomo Arachova and community of Antikyra, in the context of an administrative reform, known as the “Callicrates” program.
The MDAA, in the recent statistics review formed a population of 8.188 inhabitants and occupies an area of 27,85 sqkm.
The Municipality Units
Distomo is situated in the western foothills of Mount Helicon, at about 450 m elevation while the National Road 48 (Naupactus-Arachova-Livadeia) passes north of the town.
Known as the site of the Distomo Massacre that took place on 10 June 1944 by the German Nazi Army (4th SS Polizei Division) against the inhabitants during the Second World War that it was meant as "retribution" for the previous death of three Germans at the hands of local guerrillas, even though the villagers had no relation to the guerrillas.
A Legal Marathon is being carried out to claim compensation and redress for the sufferings of war crimes, claims addressed to European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg and still pending.
Mainly, the inhabitants coping with the agriculture and work as factory workers in the aluminum producing company Aluminium of Greece has its production facilities in the coastal site of Agios Nikolaos.
One of the most important monuments of Byzantine architecture, the monastery of Hosios Loukas, is situated close to Distomo which is listed in UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.
Arachova is Built on the southern slopes of the Mount Parnassus, at an average altitude of 960 meters, Arachova is today one of the most popular winter destinations in Greece.
Administratively is subsumed in Boeotia, although from time immemorial it is considered as one of the eight ancient cities of Phocis.
Arachova is located on the main road linking the of Amfissa with Livadia, while the ridge of Parnassus that host it results in the ravine, in the river the bed of which flows the river Pleistos. It is just 10 km from Delphi, which is listed in UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.
Arachova from the ’70s that was built the Ski Centre of Parnassus is the most popular destination for skiing and winter sports.
Parnassus and especially the area of Arachova consists places with ancient history. Korukeion Antron is located near the village and gives yielded finds from the Neolithic period, while Liakoura, the top of Parnassus at 2457 meters, is identified with the ancient Likoria where Deucalion and Pyrra fled to save themselves from the flood that showered the world. From this couple, according to legend, the Greek was born, the founder of the Greek race.
In the Revolution of 1821, historical moment, of great importance, is the Battle of Arachova, which took place outside the church of Agios Georgios in 1826.
In 1870 a devastating earthquake marked the history of Arachova; it was indeed the cause that had been destroyed its historical Clock. During the Second World War, took place close to the village of the “Battle of Sfala”, where rebels of the region faced the German bodies. From 1948 to 2010 Arachova was one of the municipalities of Parnassus.
Patron saint of Arachova is Agios Georgios and every year for the three days that keeps the festival, took place to Arachova the famous Festival with customs holding from the ancient Greece.
Antikyra is a port town, near the location of the ancient settlement Anticyra.
Antikyra is situated on the north coast of the Gulf of Corinth, 2 km southwest of Paralia Distomou (also known as Aspra Spitia). Besides Antikyra, the municipal unit contains the villages Agia Sotira and Agios Isidoros. Antikyra takes its name from the ancient port town Anticyra. At the time of Greek independence (1830s) the settlement was known as Asprospitia. It was established in 1836 as an independent municipality, which also included the town Desfina. In 1912 this municipality was split into two communities, Desfina and Antikyra.